Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Definition - WJ Competency Index
In most situations in life, your effectiveness is enhanced by clear communication, strong relationships, ethical behavior and the flexibility to be a leader, team player and lifelong learner. Library staff:
Develop and maintain effective relationships with others to achieve common goals
Work effectively in teams with strong team-building skills and attitudes
Apply effective strategies to manage organizational politics, conflict and difficult
Training Needs Assessment Rankings
Personal/Interpersonal Skills ranked #24 out of 51 self-identified urgent training needs. It ranked #33 out of 60 topics staff would like training in. 26% (25) of respondents indicated they would like training at the Beginner level, 40% (38) would like training at the Intermediate level, and 34% (32) would like training at the Advanced level.
Personal/Interpersonal Skills is identified as a CORE skill for Sussex County libraries.
- As part of Personal/Interpersonal Skills, 92 respondents indicated they would like training in Collaboration. 28% (26) indicated they would like training at the Beginner level, 37% (34) would like training at the Intermediate level, and 35% (32) would like training at the Advanced level.
Customer Service Standards
Safety - Provide a safe environment for staff and public, ensuring privacy, confidentiality, and physical well-being.
Courtesy - Treat everyone with kindness and respect.
Efficiency - Provide accurate and timely service with the best use of tangible and intangible resources.
Managing Stress and Taking Really Good Care of Yourself
Library Worklife (ALA/APA)
Discusses twelve strategies for managing stress and suggests ways to make small changes that will allow you to take care of yourself in a healthy manner.
Preventing and Treating Compassion Fatigue with Self-Care
Infopeople webinar (April 2019)
Discusses compassion fatigue and how to become aware of its symptoms and warning signs and acknowledge workplace stressors that can put us at-risk. Discusses the importance of creating space for self-care to prevent and/or heal from compassion fatigue and explores steps for creating a personalized self-care plan. Mindfulness as a specific self-care strategy is explored, with several real-time mindfulness practices interspersed throughout the webinar.
Mindfulness Training, McCullough Middle School, March 20, 2019
Subject areas covered:
- Coping skills (stress, anger, & anxiety) Self-regulation technique "McCullough S.T.A.F.F."
- Science/Benefits of healthy nutrition & physical fitness
- Mindfulness skills (mental focusing & mindful deep breathing)
- Emotional & social intelligence
- (Science of mind body connection)
- Growth vs. fixed mindset
- Internet safety & proper social media behavior
- Fitness center & create your own "gymless" workout