Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Allan McLane UNKNOWN HERO OF THE REVOLUTION
Dashing fighter, daring scout, this romantic trooper played a large part in Washington’s triumph at Yorktown
By FRED J. COOK
American Heritage Magazine, October 1956; Volume 7, Issue 6
Note: It may be necessary to use the zoom feature on your browser for easier reading.
MCLANE BOOK TO THE CHIEF, LACHLAN MACLEAN
On a National Geographic trip to Scotland in August 2016, Tom Welch, editor and primary writer of the book "Allen McLane - Patriot, Soldier, Spy, Port Collector" was able to visit the Duart Castle on the Isle of Mull and to deliver a copy of the book to Lachlan MacLean, Chief of Clan MacLean. Copies will be for available for sale at the desk of the Delaware Public Archives or by contacting Tom Welch at email@example.com
Duart Castle, Isle of Mull
Copies of this title are also available for purchase by:
Direct purchase at the Delaware Public Archives, 121 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. North, Dover, DE
Read about Allen McLane in the following books available in the Delaware Library Catalog.
Allen McLane portrayed by Tom Welch
DELAWARE STATE SENATE
146th GENERAL ASSEMBLY
SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 7
URGING ALL DELAWAREANS TO HONOR THE MEMORY
AND MOMENTIOUS ACHIEVEMENTS OF
MAJOR ALLEN MCLANE, AN OFTEN OVERLOOKED
DELAWARE REVOLUTIONARY WAR HERO,
WITH AN APPROPRIATE MEMORIAL.
SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 7
This Senate Joint Resolution honors the memory and accomplishments of Major Allen McLane of Smyrna, a great hero of the American Revolution. It urges the citizens of the state in general and those of Smyrna and Kent County in particular to consider appropriate means of honoring McLane’s memory in a lasting way and to share their thoughts and ideas with the Delaware General Assembly, the Smyrna Town Council and the Kent County Levy Court.
ALLEN MCLANE HISTORICAL TRAIL
Visit these sites in Delaware and beyond to learn about the man and his contributions to the cause of liberty and independence.
- Golden Fleece Tavern, Plaque on Bldg re: Ratification Document (McLane a signer).
- Constitution Park, State and North Sts. Plaque on bldg. Re: Ratification Doc (McLane a signer, name misspelled as A. M. Zane.)
- Old State House, House of Assembly, (Representatives 1792) McLane the Speaker in 1791; his name on the Speaker’s desk.
- Legislative Hall, First Floor Hallway, McLane portraits, Allen and son Louis.
- Delaware Archives, where a box of McLane papers can be checked out.
- Smyrna, 40 Mt. Vernon Street, Allen McLane home, historic plaque in front.
- Smyrna, Mt. Vernon Street, Asbury UM Church, History Room, Deed of land from McLane to the Methodist Society for the building of the church and portrait.
- Smyrna Lake Como Bridge, in November 2011 named the Allen McLane Bridge by the Smyrna Town Council. Sign was placed by D.O.T. and dedicated on 9/20/2012.
- 2nd and Walnut Streets, Wilmington, Asbury Cemetery, site of gravestones for Allen McLane and wife Rebecca.
Outside of Delaware
- Stony Point Battlefield State Park, NY, 12 miles south of West Point; plaque at entrance with portrait by Charles Willson Peale of Allen McLane, as tribute to him for going into the fort as a spy to gather intelligence for Generals Washington and Wayne.
- New York Historical Society, the premier location for his personal papers, which researchers may check out and copy.
- David Library of American Revolution, Washington Crossing PA, where 15 pages of an Allen McLane journal are kept and a microfilm reel with all the documents that are in the three bound volumes at the NY Hist Soc.
- Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore, where there are numerous documents about his son Louis McLane and many other family members.
Visit. Get. Download. Connect.
Our thanks to Tom Welch, Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, for his assistance with this LibGuide.
900's History & Geography